I suspect an animal is being abused or neglected, what do I do?

If you think this is the case call the local shelter and speak with their animal abuse investigator. If you have concerns about staying anonymous, email directly to me. We will find a solution that will help the animal. On our Shelters and Rescues page you can find the nearest location to you listed by county in New Hampshire.

Are there hotels and motels that accept pets?


What to do if you find in injured wild animal?

If you find an injured or orphaned wild animal call one of the Audobon Offices in NH or call/email Contact Save a Pet’s Life or visit our Wildlife Rehabilitors page to find a specialist.

Wild animals are not pets. Wild animals will often times react as though they need to protect themselves and are in a very frightened state. It is in the animal’s best interest not to think of people as friends. Call a wildlife expert and let them help you . If you are thinking a wild animal would make a nice pet for the kids please talk to a wild life specialist or Contact Save a Pet’s Life. There are many reasons for not having a wild animal as a pet.

The NH Audobon Society has instructions for helping injured wildlife and injured birds.

I found a baby squirrel, who can I call?

Remember injured animals will often times react as though they need to protect themselves and are in a very frightened state. From their point of view they are fighting for their life. Look in our NEWS and Shelters/Rescues for a list of Certified Wild Life Rehabilitators. They are listed by county and their areas of expertise.
The audubon society has specialist in rehab of wild birds….. Here are two of their NH offices

Audobon Society in Auburn NH
Tuesday-Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday: 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Closed Monday)
Karen Acerno, Center Director
Alison Dixon, Program Naturalist
Denise Turcotte, Coordinator of Volunteers and Special Projects

Contacting the Massabesic Audubon Center:
The Massabesic Audubon Center property is located on Audubon Way in Auburn, N.H.
Phone: 603-668-2045
Fax: 603-668-3796
From I-93 and points West and North and South of Manchester, take Exit 7, Route 101 East (Seacoast). Watch for the Audubon signs.

From points East of Manchester, go towards Manchester on Route 101. Watch for the Audubon signs. Take Exit 1 and go south onto Route 28 By-pass. Travel 1/8 mile to traffic circle. Proceed half way through the circle, continuing on the Route 28 By-pass. You’ll see Lake Massabesic on your left. Travel 1.9 miles to Spofford Road. Turn left onto Spofford Road for 1/4 mile. Turn left onto Audubon Way (on the corner as Spofford Road veers right). Parking lot is on the left, opposite the Center.

Contacting the Concord NH Office
Audubon Society of New Hampshire
3 Silk Farm Road
Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Tel: (603) 224-9909
Fax: (603) 226-0902

Local shelters may have a certified wild animal rehabilitation expert. If your NH humane society has a cert. wild life rehabilitator please email us they can be on the list.

My neighbors cat is in heat and cries all night.

Talk to the neighbor and ask why they did not have the cat spayed/ neutered.
For some the cost of the operation is a problem. In NH we have a low cost spay/neuter program for some low income… the cost is $25. Other programs like Friends of animals have spay/neuter cert. that can be purchased on line for$35 to $75 depending on the animal and gender. There are dozens of Vets in NH that will honor these Cert. Any income group can purchase them. see our heading spay neuter for more information
If they allow the cat to roam free then you may be able to file a complaint with the police or animal control office. An unspayed/unneutered animal contributes to the overpopulation problem. If your neighbor says it is not your business remind them that TAX dollars suupport the animal control officer and the animal shelters, that amounts to MILLIONS of dollars per year. So yes it is your business and your tax dollars that are supporting their choice to produce kittens or puppies.
If your neighbor is on a tight budget consider a gift of kindness and purchase on of the spay/neuter cert. described in our Spay/Neuter section. The Certificate can only be used for the operation. You will sleep better, your neighbor will thank you and you wil be doing something positive to eliminate suffering… All that for less then the cost of a night at the movies.

I (or a family member) am no longer able to care for my pet. What options do I have?

Please read about the resources available in your area. Or contact us directly if you would like to ask us a specific question.

How will my pet be cared for after I’m gone?

If you are the pet’s guardian and would like to make arrangements for Save a Pet’s Life to care for your pet for the remainder of their lifetime, please Contact Save a Pet’s Life about the cost of lifetime care.

What do I do if I can no longer care for my exotic pet?

If you have an exotic pet that you feel you can not longer care for (exotic bird, prairie dog, flying squirrel, etc.), Contact Save a Pet’s Life for a contact at the nearest specialty rescue that works with that type of animal.

Site Map

Even a Little Helps

Search Engine Sitemap

This site was donated by Bogart Computing, LLC